Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Vacationing in Moab

I visited my father in Moab for the last couple weeks.
We got to do a little mountain biking despite routine morning temperatures of 18 degrees and afternoon temperatures that often hovered just above freezing. Most of the days were sunny and dry, however, which made it feel a bit warmer. We usually hiked or biked about three hours a day. One day, the temperature went up to 50 degrees all day, then two days later there was an ice storm, so we had to expect the unexpected.
We spent most of our biking time on Sovereign Trail, the center section being a good combination of challenge and entertainment. We hit the south end of Sovereign after it rained the previous night and ran into some slick trails and a couple wide washes with water running in them. Dirt and sand got everywhere. I also rode up Klondike Bluffs one day, which has an amazing view and a minimal challenge technically. On another cold 20 degree day I headed up Sand Flats Road, but did not get very far due to snow cover. I turned into a people-popsicle on the way down. Not so fun.
I did several fun hikes. The hike to Fisher Towers was fairly short and beautiful. We also explored up Gold Bar Canyon to Jeep Arch, then came down Culvert Canyon, having to navigate up and down broad ledges and around pouroffs in the canyon bottoms. On the last full day I was there, I went for a run up Porcupine Rim, which has stellar views. The trail was quite rugged, and towards the top (it topped out at 6800 feet) there was three inches of crusty snow across the trail. Wind and weather threatened, but the sun came out towards the end of the run, happily for me, and I cruised down Sand Flats Road back home in just under four and a half hours.
I also looked at buying a used bike from Poison Spider Bicycles rental fleet. I didn't, but my father bought a Yeti 575, which was a fair bit nicer than his older mountain bike, and I can use it when I go back there -- yay!

No comments: