Friday, January 25, 2008

Gate Crasher

It was such a crisp, beautiful day yesterday, I wanted to get out and run. After John got tied up in work, I decided to head out by myself, choosing to go to Cougar Mountain for a couple laps on Wilderness Peak/Creek, getting back to the car about a half hour after twilight had turned to darkness.
Everything was A-ok until I drove up to the locked gate across the road (I was at Sky Country Trailhead).
Ooops.
I spent about five minutes rattling the gate to ensure that there was no trick. Eventually, I drove back to the parking lot and started packing up my gear. I called Kathy and John - no answer. Kathy was at her cooking class, and John was probably out running. I settled into the idea of a long hike home.
Kathy, however, called me back. She was at her cooking class, but could reschedule it, so she came to pick me up. We arranged to meet at a Starbucks a few miles down the road, so I got another little run in while I was waiting :)
Since Kathy was going to work in Bellevue this morning, she also offered to drop me off at Cougar Mountain. This sounded like a better plan than my pre-dawn bike ride from home. And I could get a run in while waiting for them to open the gate. Yay!
As it turns out, the gate was already open at 6:30am when we got there. My car was covered in frost. It was 24 degrees out. Hmmm. I think I'll just go and run at home after dawn where it is warm and light.

Thanks, Kathy!

No comments: