Thursday, January 24, 2008

Multisport Day

On Saturday, I decided not to go down to Capitol State Forest for the 50km there, as the weather was not so great and the snow was deep this year down there. Instead, I set up a little multi-sport day with Murray Maitland, one of my team members for the Desert Winds Adventure Race in May.
Our first course was the 14 mile Cougar Loop, where we were joined by Andrew Feucth, John Commiskey and Mike Podell. After a quick bite to eat, we headed to St Edwards Park for an hour and a half of mountain biking in light rain and mud. Juanita Drive Boat Landing was a short hop away, and we paddled the Sammamish Slough for another hour and a half or so amid afternoon showers. I brought my PWS Avocet for Murray (the "slow" boat, per Kathy and Erica), and I had a hard time keeping up with him. I blame it on his wing paddle.
I won't have that excuse next time, as I just got a new Epic mid-wing paddle on Tuesday - I haven't tried it yet, though.
Murray looked like a solid runner, biker and kayaker. I'm glad he's on my team.
Although enjoyable, trying to do three activities with driving to different locations ate up a lot of time for transitions, and with the short winter days, we just ran out of daytime. I think next time I might just stick to two activities, or plan to be out after dark.

No comments: