Friday, October 3, 2008

My work commute

With the high gas prices of this year, I took a look at my commute to work. I am lucky to live reasonably close to work (7 miles), and I usually bike into work. I occasionally run, and I rarely drive my car. Supposing that I go to work 5 days a week, 48 weeks a year (somewhat of an overstatement, if you know me), and I ride my bike instead of driving.
Here are some numbers:

Drive into work: 30 minutes/day * 240 = 120 hours/year

Bike into work: 35 minutes/day * 240 = 140 hours/year

So, I spend an extra 20 hours per year biking, but I get 140 hours (and 1700 miles) of exercise. That's a lot of free exercise that is costing me little extra time in my busy daily schedule.

Not to mention, I get to avoid sitting around in traffic. And I get to bike along the waterfront. And I save maybe 70 gallons of gas a year, which might go a little ways towards paying for my morning latte habit...

No comments: